Sunday, June 8, 2008

PIONEER TREK 2008

On June 5,6, and 7th, Tyson, Steve and I went on a Pioneer Trek with our Stake. Steve and I were Ma and Pa for a group of 4 boys and 5 girls. Tyson was with another family. There were 14 family's with 7-9 in kids in each family from the ages of 13-17. We went to the Kiabab National forest. in Norhtern Arizona. Each family had their own handcarts and our belongings were packed in a gunny sack and that included our sleeping bags.
Our trek was 13 miles long. It was fun but tiring. We realized we didn't prepare enough. We did not sleep in tents but under the moon and stars. The first morning our sleeping bags were covered with frost. They fed us very well. The hardest part was the women's pull. The Ma's were not allowed to help the girls pull the cart and the road was the worst part of the whole trek. It was uphill and full of rocks and ruts. It was hard for the boys to not help but about halfway up the hill, they allowed the boys to pull gunny sacks out of the cart to lighten the load. After our handcart reached the top of the hill, my girls, along with some others, ran down the hill and helped other carts up. It was a very spiritual experiance. One I will never forget. On Saturday, we ended the trek on the North rim of the Grand Canyon. It is so beautiful. There our Stake President, President Dunn, spoke to us and then we had a testimony meeting. We have some outstanding youth in our stake. This was a wonderful experience and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go. I'm thankful for my ancestors and what they went through. We have some great, great, great Grandparents, Ole and Anna Maria Andreason' who crossed the plains in handcarts. There is not alot written about it in their histories but I'm grateful to them for their example.
I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the trek because we were not allowed to take our camera.

2 comments:

Josh and Amber said...

Mom, I really love that picture! It turned out so good! You really look like your all from pioneer times!! :) haha! I'm proud of you guys for doing that trek, that seemed like a lot of hard work, I dunno if I would have been able to do it! Way to go you guys! I'm glad you had a great experience and all returned home safely! And I bet your extemely glad to be back home, indoors with a/c and in your king size bed!!! :)

squiresclan said...

I have to agree with amber, that picture is so cool! That would definately be an experience and alot of fun!